Monday, April 30, 2007

Bathroom Befuddlement




I have been thinking about my downstairs bathroom lately. These thoughts kind of pop in and out of my head, there are so many things I want to do....for the most part, the "have to dos" come first. This bathroom is so small, I'm contemplating tackling it anyway. It works...the toilet flushes, the sink provides water, heck-even the door closes, which is pretty good in an old house. It's just a little ugly, not so much because of what the previous owners did, but how they did it and the fact it is undoing itself a little now. The bathroom is very small, there is a shower stall (tiled), a toilet, a pedestal sink and a window. The tile is on the walls as well, halfway up with dark brown paint on the walls above. The previous owners tried to update the look by doing a two or three step faux finish on the tiles, in a deep brown. It looks a little (and I mean a little) like stone. This was done with regular paint and is now coming off in some places. The color is......aqua! I don't know if I mean that in an excited good way or an excited horrified way; I figure there are really no period bathrooms for 1915 houses except for in the wealthiest of households. Most bathrooms in houses from this era were done in Art Deco style as that was the popular style when bathrooms moved inside. I somehow think the aqua was originated a couple of decades later. I might not mind the aqua tile if there was perhaps a contrasting color such as black...but of course this wouldn't be the case....the border tiles and entire shower stall are *pink*. To me that's just a little too much. Not only do I need to strip all the faux paint off the walls, but then I'd have to live with aqua and pink? I'm not sure I have what it takes for that......I'm starting to think this will not be a simple redecorating, but a sledgehammer job. I have uploaded some pics of the bathroom...the 1st is looking in from the door, the 2nd is our shower (with a very old multiple head set up), see the pink preview with the soap dish? The last is a closeup of the failing paint job with the aqua showing through. Any guidance would be appreciated! What would YOU do? I just wanted to brighten up my cave-like bathroom!

3 comments:

IFly said...

Welcome to Blogville. We too are in a perpetual project bungalow in Seminole Heights. It's mostly fun, but there never seems to be enough time. We sort of went through the bathroom one step at a time working with what was there. It's an improvement, but not what we would have envisioned if we had done a full remodel. Best of luck to you!

carasu said...

Thanks! I think we'll just probably do a redecorate thing right now...take off the paint and see if we can get the border tile black.....I would love to replace the slate style floor with octagonal tile....it's so small, it's almost doable; but then if we're doing the floor, we might as well knock the tile off, which would most likely facilitate us taking the walls down to studs.....nope...better stop at paint....

Midwest Bicycle Company said...

Pink and Aqua, Pink and Black, and other questionable tile combinations in bathrooms were typical of the '50s. So were pink and aqua toilets and sinks, unfortunately.

Me, I'd make the evil tile go away.